Sunday, August 8, 2010

Where the turf meets the surf



So not only did I run 11 miles yesterday, I also proceeded to drive to San Diego and back. I can't begin to tell you how amazing my bed felt at the end of the day.

But it was all worth it! First of all my 11 mile training run was amazing! I knew that I needed to get on the road to San Diego so I really pushed it on the run and in fact, I ran about 2-3 minutes faster than my normal pace. Whew! I actually didn't even run with my pace group at all. Sorry guys!

Then I rushed home for a quick shower and jumped in the car with my friend to make the drive to SD. I figured that it would take us about an hour and half to get there but oh no....
The traffic was just awful!! Seriously, it has never been that bad on a Saturday afternoon before. I had no idea what was going on but it was B-A-D! Anyway, once we finally got there, we headed straight for the Del Mar racetrack which is about 20 miles north of the city. We met up with my sister and her husband there. It was a beautiful sunny day-perfect for a day with the horses.

Who would have thought that watching horses race for a few hours could be so much fun?! I really got into it and even won some money! Ok, so I only made $40 but hey, I only spent $8 to make that $40 so that's something, right? Del Mar has been around since 1937. It really is a lot of fun and I encourage anyone looking for something fun and different to do in Southern California to spend a day there. Even if you aren't into gambling, it's still fun to watch others get excited and of course to root for your favorite horse. Plus, there's food and booze to keep you occupied too. I don't know anything about horse racing, but I picked horses that seem to have pretty good odds and with interesting names.. I know that's not the right way to pick 'em but it seemed to work for me yesterday!

The very first race on opening day starts at 2pm when the track announcer begins each racing season with his trademark call: "And there's the roar from the Del Mar crowd as the (year) Del Mar meet is underway."

1 comment:

  1. Fun day... sorry traffic was so awful for you and that the evening ended up going bonkers!

    Maybe you can come back soon for another go. I think they run until mid-September.

    Congrats on your winnings.

    ReplyDelete