Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sugar Pa






Today my father, Michael Stephen Adams, would have been 63 years old. I know that it's always going to be a difficult day for me to get through. I just hope that eventually I'll learn how to celebrate him on this day better. Today was hard as it was because I didn't feel well at all. So needless to say I didn't honor him in the way that I hope to on this day.

Let's see what would he enjoy doing? Wake up and watch a game on TV, play on the computer, play with his stamp collection, maybe go relax in the jacuzzi, enjoy a yummy meaty dinner preferably with plenty of ketchup on whatever it was and then see a movie. He loved movies-especially the old black and white ones. Then before going to sleep, he would read for an hour or so in bed. He was such a loving man and very affectionate with my mom and sister and I.

Right after he died, I made a list of all the things that reminded me of him:
stamps, collected coins, unusual beer bottles, Cutco knives, carpets, DVDs, Westerns, Film Noir, Tina Turner, Red Sox, Celtics, Redskins, Boston University, Sugar Pa, making lists, any team but Dallas Cowboys, his "Mike Adams" shirts, blue, books, dance mixes, 80's music, smooth jazz music, World War II history, Judaism, oranges, Baileys, crazy ties, peanut butter and cheese sandwiches, dates, organized records, Wonder bread, Big Hunk, Snickers, Butterfingers, Juicy Fruit Gum, Big League Bubble Gum, James Stewart, Carey Grant, The Lake House, Bed of Roses, Molinas, Mexican food, The Beatles, sleeving albums, Buicks, handmade gift wrap, Amazon.com, and sooo many more things...

My dad was born and raised in a very small town in Texas, near the pan-handle. He knew at a very young age that he wanted to get out of that town as soon as he graduated from high school, and that's exactly what he did. He met my mom in college and then they moved out of Texas and never came back. They decided early on in their marriage that there were going to travel the world together teaching at different schools. They continued to move until they died in Tunisia which was the last country they lived in. My dad never did lose that Texan accent and came out especially when he was yelling at me or after a few beers. I would give anything to hear his voice now. His middle and other brother still live in Texas and I have been fortunate enough to have been able to visited them a few times recently. It's important to me that we become closer and remain a family even without my parents around.


My Aunt Gail sent me this very sweet email today that I thought would be perfect to put in this post.

Tonya and Leah,

Today we are reflecting on the too brief but very incredible life your dad lived. We know how much you both must miss him because we know how much we do. Your dad was a true individual, not prone to be persuaded by views that were not his own. He loved learning, life, music, sports, teaching, experiencing new things...but mostly he loved your mother and the two of you. He probably would love Lucas more than anyone or anything else. We cannot look at a picture of Lucas without thinking of your dad and what he didn't live long enough to enjoy. We like believing that he is aware and very proud of his girls and now his little grandson. We send all of you our love and hugs, today and every day...but especially today.

Gail and David


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I miss Daddy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, this brought tears to my eyes. Even though I didn't know your dad, I think this post is a great way to remember him. I hope evrything is going great in LA! - veronica

    ReplyDelete