Friday, March 11, 2011

My Feet

This post is for The Red Dress Club's writing assignment, Red Writing Hood. This week's prompt was to write a short piece, either fiction or non-fiction, about something ugly - and find the beauty in it.

While running has done some awesome things for my body, there are a few bad things it has done to me as well.

This might be total over share but my feet have been looking pretty awful lately. We are talking never-ending blisters that refuse to heal completely, rough and cracked heels, dry peeling skin pretty much all over and basically just a general overall ugly appearance
. Then, sadly, last week, I lost my first toe nail. Yep, I now no longer have a second toe nail on my left foot! I never thought I would be saying that. Who loses a toe nail?! Apparently, this is totally normal to runners! Geesh! Needless to say I haven't had a pedicure in months and stopped caring about painting my toe nails awhile ago. Why bother?

My feet DON'T look quite this bad but you get the idea.


Don't get me wrong though. I take care of my feet when I go on long runs. I wear proper sneakers, and thanks to my sister, I wear fancy shmancy socks. I apply the amazing Blister Block and Vaseline, baby powder and then I even put on mole skin on the hot spots of my feet in order to prevent blisters. Even though I take all these preventative measures, after a long run, I still manage to grimace when I take my shoes and socks off. After 10 miles, everything starts to suffer a little bit.

Despite this long list of negative characteristics of my feet, I still manage to think they are amazing. I find immense beauty in the fact that I have run countless miles on these feet. In the past two years, they have gotten me through two Half-Marathons, a 60 mile long walk, many short and long training runs, including a few 20 milers and next Sunday a Full-Marathon. For that I'll always be grateful to them. Perhaps, like the roughness of a persons hands show you how much they work with them, you can tell a lot about a person just from their feet. This sounds like something Forrest Gump said, right? Well, if this is true, then you can surely see that I've been using my feet a lot lately.

I'm thankful that these ugly feet have not given up on me and haven't given me any real pain or serious discomfort. I suppose beauty is pain though, right? Maybe that's why so many things in life can be considered ugly or painful and beautiful at the same time. My feet most certainly follow along with that thought. My feet may be ugly right now but they are also incredibly beautiful too.

16 comments:

  1. Leah, I thoroughly enjoyed your post. I personally absolutely HATE having my feet touched and the thought of running long distances is a foreign concept. I have an immense amount of respect for you. Your feet certainly receive a great deal of love. Best of luck on your Full Marathon next week. Make sure to post and let us know how you do.

    Look forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Youre awesome! :) good luck on your marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Leah! Turns something you're self-conscious about into something that totally kicks ass! (and I don't know if you're self-conscious about your feet...) I've really been noticing what a good writer you are, lately! You're funny, thoughtful, and thought-provoking! Keep it up, hot momma, because I love reading your posts :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a runner. But I am continuously amazed by the job of feet. The bear one's weight on endless journeys to and through life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Treat your feet well or you'll come to regret it.I am not an advocate of buying lots of shoes. However I do believe in buying good shoes.

    It is worth the extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a runner a year back and I was learning martial arts... at that time, my body was a bruise box. Bruises all over... of varying colors...

    Sigh i miss those days!

    All the best with the upcoming Marathon

    Thanks for following my blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My knees are shot-so I am a walker-and my feet aren't very pretty either-but like yours, they've taken me miles and miles and miles and I love them too:)

    And good luck with your marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! It's so true too, where would we be without our feet.

    I live for my monthly pedicures!!

    Keep on trucking (I mean, running), girl.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! Good luck on your marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try to get into running. I've run one 5K. And now I don't think I want to run anymore...I love my feet too much (and so does my hubby LOL!). Good for you though. Running is so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did the 3 Day Breast Cancer walk too, and my feet really did look like that picture (almost). Blisters on EVERY SINGLE TOE on my right foot. Holy moly. But I found that the blisters bothered me much less than the dull ache in my soles while walking. ha.

    Good strong feet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pedis are my friend. I love getting my feet done, especially after long days of being on my feet. Your pic is just... WOW! Feet are made to be used though... and you definitely use them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can completely relate!
    When I'm running like I should be (I've been a sloth lately), my feet look less than fabulous. I used to lose the toenails on my toe beside my big toe, until I found these amazing silicone sleeve things from Roadrunner Sports. They slide on over the toe and I haven't lost a toenail since. ;)

    Beat up feet are a small price to pay for running.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to find another runner!! I'm training for my first marathon too...and I so hear you...dogs were definitely barking after 10 miles!

    Haven't lost a toenail...yet!

    Good luck with your marathon!! You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I applaud anyone who actually LOVES running. I'd walk a mile in your shoes, just don't ask me to run. Good Luck! I had never considered feet as being beautiful until I received a compliment on mine. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all these awesome comments and all the support! It means a lot to me! I'll be sure to blog all about the Marathon next week!

    ReplyDelete