Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Help a vampire out and give blood!



Ok, so you aren't actually going to be helping any vampires out but you will be helping other people in serious need of blood.


Every minute of every day, someone needs blood. That blood can only come from a volunteer donor, a person who makes the choice to donate. There is no substitute for that donation. Only 38% of Americans are eligible to donate blood and of those only 8% actually do. That amounts to only about 3 out of every 100 people in America donate blood. Can you believe that?! I was shocked to learn that.


From it's beginning, the American Red Cross has formed a community of service, of generous, strong and decent people bound by beliefs beyond themselves. The American Red Cross blood donor embodies this principle. I encourage my readers (wow, that sounds cool) to please help them in the mission to maintain a safe and stable blood supply by making your appointment to donate blood today.

To find out where you can donate, visit www.redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (1-800-448-3543).


Today I was one of those people and I donated blood. I went to the American Red Cross Center in Santa Monica. Giving blood is something that I've been doing since I was in college. It makes me feel good to know that I could possibly be saving a life with my blood. I actually learned that all the blood given this week will probably be going to Haiti! Isn't that great?! Despite feeling a little lightheaded and weak after, it's a very painless experience.


"In every community, there is work to be done. In every nation, there are wounds to heal. In every heart, there is the power to do it." -Marianne Williamson

1 comment:

  1. Donating blood always makes me feel great too. I haven't done it since before I was pregnant and I need to get back into the habit. Good for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete