Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reliving a Moment

This week's Mama Kat's Workshop writing prompt that I chose to answer was #5. - "If you could relive any moment in your life, what moment would you choose? Write about it."

Well, honestly there are few moments that I wish I could go back to and alter the outcomes but the one that stands out the most in my mind right now would be going back to college. And no, not to party less! : )

I wish that I could go back to that very first day of Freshman orientation and instead of choosing "Undecided" as my major, I wish that I had picked "Music Management". Instead, it took me 3 years to finally decide on that major. I tried 5 different majors in college: Undecided, Communications, French, Elementary Education and finally Music Management.

I wish that I had known from the very beginning that I wanted to work in the music industry. It would have saved me years of stress and ultimately in the long-run, I believe that it would have sped up my career into this tough industry. But no, I messed around for 2 and a half years switching majors and being undecided for so long. I truly think that if I had known what my dream job was at that time, I would have started the process. I would have tried moving to Los Angeles during the summers and interning at record labels. Gosh, now that I think about it, I could have started interning in high school even! Wow! All that experience would have been amazing! All that precious time was wasted because I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life yet. Yes, of course, that's what an 18-22 year old does but why couldn't I have figured it out a little sooner?!

In college I was always jealous of all those people that knew right away what they wanted to do and were well on their way to that profession. I didn't understand how you could start your freshman year of college already knowing that you wanted to be a journalist, a nutritionist, an English teacher or even an opera singer. I had a lot of interests and hobbies. How are you supposed to pick just one thing and base your entire college experience on it?


I do know that what is really important now is that I did indeed graduate and am working hard now to get into the music industry. It's still fun to think about how different my life might be today if I had known all along what I wanted to do with my life.

8 comments:

  1. I not only didn't know what I wanted to do right away, I went to college, they forced me to pick a major, so I did... then I dropped out because I hated it. A couple years later I went to college and got an associates degree, in a field I will never use it, and now I want to go back to school to do what I really want to do (and really have wanted to do all along... but I couldn't figure it out) Long story short... It could be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an interesting point here. I think a lot of college freshman really don't know what they should major in.

    Visiting from writer's workshop. Here's a link to ours: http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2010/11/our-thanksgiving-day-rainy-eating.html if you have time to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both comments above. I have a college freshman right now, however, she does know what she wants to do....along with thousands of others in the same major.

    I wish I could go back, and finish school before starting a family, so that I wouldn't be going back now!

    None of your time has been wasted and you really don't know for sure that your music journey would have happened any sooner. Think of the people you have met, the hot guys you dated (that you would noth have in another major). I think you can recall some great memories from those undecided years, as well as the life lessons learned during that time.

    It sounds like you are in a good place right now with a lot of confidence to put yourself out there. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was the same way... and oh so jealous of those who just KNEW what they wanted. I'm still trying to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I declared my major and minors right away (English, Creative Writing, and Editing/Publishing) and pretty much always knew that I wanted to work in that industry. I had two amazing internships for literary magazines while in school, and lots of volunteer experience in the same field. However, with this economy, it has been so hard to find a job in the field you want no matter how much experience you've had. Now I'm applying for jobs in many different fields and am pretty much back to square one. So really, from someone who declared right away, the outcome would probably have been the same regardless if I didn't know what I wanted to do those first years in college.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think there's anything wrong with not knowing what you want to be when you are a Freshman in college. I changed my major four or five times myself.

    And like mom always said, you knew what you didn't want to be. That's half the battle. Right?

    You're on your way....

    ReplyDelete
  7. But, look at where you are now! You're in a great place and it's not always about the destination, it's all about the journey! At least you found it, some people never do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you to everyone for these amazing comments. I seriously do not regret any part of my college experience. I had a blast every year and made the best friends ever. : )

    ReplyDelete