Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The LA Music Job Market


As the home base of Hollywood, Los Angeles is known as the "Entertainment/Creative Capital of the World", leading the world in the creation of movies, television production, video games, and recorded music. The importance of the entertainment business to the city has led many celebrities to call Los Angeles and it's surrounding suburbs home. Interestingly enough, one in every six of LA residents work in a creative industry. According to the USC Stevens Institute for Innovation, "there are more artists, writers, filmmakers, actors, dancers and musicians living and working in Los Angeles than any other city at any time in the history of civilization."

All of this certainly makes me drool since this is all why I moved to LA in the first place, to break into the music industry. Yet, on the flip side, this also means that there are that many more people out there competing for the music jobs that I want. Therefore, I have to stand out and set myself a part from all of them.
However, it's a rough time right now for the music industry because of the Internet and programs like iTunes. Musicians are finding themselves in more powerful positions than ever before. They can create, promote and even manage themselves without even turning to a record label for help. They can do all this without ever leaving their homes thanks to the Internet.

I did have an interview this morning with a music management company that represents several well known rock groups and I would absolutely love to get this job. The job is to be the executive assistant to the CEO which means plenty of hands on experience. So, keep your fingers and toes crossed for me! I'll keep you posted. I do know that it's best to keep an open mind when it comes to jobs so if this one doesn't end up working out, I know that there is a perfect job for me out there just waiting for me to find it.

"Independent labels take nothing and make something out of it. Major labels buy that something, and try to make more out of it." Tom Silverman, Tommy Boy Records CEO

1 comment:

  1. My fingers andtosss are crossed for you....keep me posted. The perfect job, doing exactly what you want to be doing in the music field is out there for you. Hang in there!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete