Friday, March 5, 2010

My Time Machines


So, ever since my Freshman year of high school, I've been making scrapbooks of my life. Over the years, I have definitely gotten a lot more creative with them. I think that I have at least 10 scrapbooks! They are my time machines. I can back to the past anytime I want with them. They certainly take up a lot of space so I only brought 2 with me here to LA. Well, now I have 3 here because this week I had to start another one. Yep, I am all caught up on my scrapbooking (yes, I'm making it a word!) as of right now. Whew! They are a lot of work and take up a lot of time. There is plenty of equipment too, colored papers, a ton of stickers, assorted pastes and glues, several scissors, magazine cut outs, pictures and other various memorabilia that I've kept. I've never really thought of myself as being super artistic so I think this gives me a chance to showcase that I really can be when I put my heart into it.

I don't mind all the work though, since I enjoy it so much. It gives me a chance to reminisce about the events that I've been to and the people that I've been spending time with. It really makes me appreciate my life and all that I've gotten to do and see so far. I guess my scrapbooks are kind of like my journal. I have a journal but I don't write regularly enough in it. It doesn't have my day to day adventures. Wait, isn't that what this blog is like? : ) I just know that when I'm older and getting a little senile and maybe even start to forget my glory days, I'll be able to look back at these scrapbooks and remember how much fun I had in my youth. I'll never forget my life with these books.

Another reason why I enjoy making scrapbooks is because of my mom. She and I started doing it together in the summers when we were home in the states. Part of the fun was going out to different stores and hunting down our supplies. Then we would gather all our materials and set up on the dining room table. It was something that we could both sit and do together and share in the experience. I can still picture us sitting across from each other and laughing up a storm while looking at pictures. Neither of us was very good at art but we tried and that's what counts, right? : ) When I scrapbook, I can't help but think of her and wonder what her future scrapbooks would have looked like. I am sure they would have been of grandchildren! : ) I think she would be so happy that I have continued to do it.
  • "A true scrapbook addict is one who stages photographs to match paper she likes." -Unknown
  • "Been there, scrapped that" -Unknown
  • "And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there and the moths." - Leonard Cohen
  • "Blessed are the children of scrapbookers, for they shall inherit the scrapbooks." -Unknown



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how long you have been keeping your scrapbooks. I know how much joy they bring you. They truly are works of art and created with love. I hope you keep them up because they will be treasures for years to come.

    How many do you have now and where are you able to store them all?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete