I'm always on the lookout for ways to eat healthy and now that I live in LA, the quest to look and be healthy is apparent absolutely everywhere. I found this list awhile ago and I figured my blog would be a perfect way to share it since I want all my readers to eat healthy too. It's not always easy to eat all the right foods but when you know exactly how they will help your body, it certainly helps.
So here are 10 foods that are supposed to significantly give you glowing skin, shiny hair and whiter teeth.
1. Lobster- I rarely eat lobster but I do know there are many good things about it. It offers a good, low-fat source of protein, and shellfish also contains high amounts of zinc, a mineral which may help prevent acne and boost the immune function Lobster also has pentatonic acid, a B vitamin that makes hair look shinier. Also try clams, mussels and oysters.
2. Artichoke- It supplies 25% of an adults daily quota of fiber. It is super detoxifying because it helps rid the body of waste. This means clearer and more radiant skin. Artichokes also contain rutin, an antioxidant that reduces inflammation throughout the body so skin looks plumper and less red.
3. Chia Seeds- I've never even heard of these....These seeds are great sources of vitamin E and omega 3 which are essential fatty acids that make skin glow and hair shine. Unlike flax seeds, chia seeds don't need to be grounded up for their beneficial oils to be absorbed. Also try flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
4. Strawberries- Yes, I love strawberries! This sweet fruit is loaded with vitamin C, an immune boosting antioxidant that stimulates collagen production and reduces damage from free radicals which are the nasty molecules that cause skin to age prematurely. Strawberries also contain malic acid, a natural astringent that can help remove discoloration from teeth. Also try blueberries, kiwis and oranges.
5. Sweet Potatoes- These tasty, orange complex carbs are full of fiber and are high in vitamin A, an antioxidant that keeps skin fresh, smooth and clear. The topical version of vitamin A-a derivative knows as tretinoin is the main ingredient in many prescription acne and anti-wrinkle creams. Also try carrots and tomatoes.
6. Acai- This is known as a super fruit, it is reddish purple Brazilian berry is full of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants (a couple of ounces have more free-radical fighting power than a glass of red wine). Though it's difficult to find the real fruit outside of Brazil, many companies sell acai capsules, sorbet and other products.
7. Wild Salmon- This is one of the best-known sources of skin-beautifying omega fatty acids, salmon reduces inflammation more effectively than almost any other food. It enhances radiance and reduces wrinkles and puffiness. Also try mackerel and sardines. I'm not a fan of either of those but I do love a good salmon. Lucky for me, Gina has shown exactly how to cook a tasty salmon.
8. Kale- This dark green, leafy vegetable offers lots of fiber which aids in clearing skin and plenty of vitamin A and C which helps reduce wrinkles and discoloration. Kale also has lutein, a nutrient that makes the whites of our eyes look brighter. This isn't a vegetable that I would necessarily pick up so it's nice to be alerted of all its benefits. Also try spinach.
9. Quinoa- Another unknown one. The B-complex vitamins in this nutty grain help skin glow and hair feel less dry. Unlike many starches, quinoa doesn't contain gluten, a common but often overlooked source of food allergies that can irritate the skin,
10. Kefir- Probiotics in this tangy drink cleanse the digestive tract, so skin appears clearer and more luminous. Studies show faster weight loss among people who drink kefir or eat yogurt. Too bad I don't like either..: (