Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What if....

So for the past week and a half, I've been re-watching my Grey's Anatomy DVDs. One thing I've noticed is that in just about every other episode, a patient learns that they are going to die soon and they bravely take this awful news. I can't help but put myself in that position and think that I highly doubt that I would handle that kind of news as well. I mean, they all say something like, "It's ok, I'll be ok. I've accepted my fate. My cancer and I are friends." Like hell! God! How on earth can they be ok with this kind of prognosis? I would be freaking out if I heard I had a month left to live!! What if I found out that I was going to die? Well, I would be calling all my friends and family, and planning a trip to Europe and listening to as much music as possible, reading every book on my to-read list, smelling every flower, eating cupcakes, making love and so many other things. Of course before all of that, I would cry and cry. What would you do? How would you react to this news?

I guess we'll never know how to react to news before it really happens to us. I hope I never find out what it's like to discover that I'm dying and I hope that I never get to hear that my loved one is dying.
In the words of my sister, let's hope "the best is yet to be".

1 comment:

  1. First of all, you're that hard up for TV that you are watching old "Grey's Anatomys"?

    Secondly, if I were battling cancer or some other terrible disease, this news might come as a blessing.

    I'm not afraid to die, but one month goes by pretty fast...

    I suppose I'd be making a lot of phone calls and flying around the world to see those I hold near and dear.

    I wouldn't waste my time reading, but music would be a must.

    I'd try to tackle as many things on my "Buried List" as I could and I'd write letters, look through photos and enjoy those 30 days to their absolute fullest.

    ReplyDelete