Friday, June 25, 2010

Michael Jackson
















One year ago today Michael Jackson passed away. So it was absolutely fitting that last night I went to a fun concert by "Who's Bad", a Michael Jackson tribute band at the Key Club.

Who are "Who's Bad?" Well, according to their website, "In glitzy jackets, glittering gloves and 80s regalia, Who's Bad, The Ultimate Michael Jackson Tribute Band, is an infectious party production that takes audiences on a musical expedition spanning three decades of Michael Jackson's chart-cresting music. From ABC to You Rock My World no song is forgotten in this electrifying revival of Pop Music's Royal Highness." They totally did me on a MJ musical journey! You know you want to see them now! They are super busy touring this summer so be on the look out for them coming to a city near you.. Wow, should I do PR for them or what?!

Seriously, they were phenomenal! As someone who sadly never got the chance to see MJ perform live, this concert was such a neat experience for me. The band was incredibly talented and the lead singer was at times the spitting image of Michael himself. He had the voice, the well known outfits, the styled hair, and the amazing dance moves-including the awesome moonwalk!

At one point towards the end of the show, I looked around and caught a few people in the audience fighting back tears. It was quite an emotional moment. I even found myself feeling sad and wondering the same questions I wonder about my parents deaths... What is the big picture behind his death? What was it supposed to teach us? Michael was certainly not done being a musician and he didn't have to die for all of to appreciate his music. Last night I couldn't help but wonder just how many fans all over the world were feeling this way.

I would go as far as saying that MJ is one of few musicians that break sex/race/age/nationality barriers. It doesn't matter how old you are, where you live, or your race, you can appreciate his talent. So, what's your favorite Michael Jackson song? I have several.. one of them is "Human Nature"-the lyrics are fantastic! I also will always love "The Girl is Mine" by MJ and Paul McCartney because it was my Dad's favorite MJ song.


"Reaching out to touch a stranger
Electric eyes are everywhere
See that girl, she knows I'm watching
She likes the way I stare

If they say, why, why? Tell 'em that is human nature
Why, why does he do me that way?
If they say, why, why? Tell 'em that is human nature
Why, why does he do me that way?
I like livin' this way, I like lovin' this way"


I stole this idea from another fellow blogger because I love it! So, go ahead and please follow me if you are reading this and don't already! Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. How fun!! I can't believe it's been a year. I love Michael Jackson and always have. I'm sorry it took his death to make me revisit his catalog in my iTunes.

    "The Girl Is Mine" will always remind me of Daddy too.

    RIP to them both. xoxo

    ReplyDelete