Friday, June 18, 2010

My Internship


About a month and a half ago, I started an internship at Art of Broadcast in Beverly Hills. According to their website, "Art of Broadcast provides quality promotions for artists from a variety of music genres across the globe. We primarily work with signed talent represented by established labels and management companies. However, we do consider independent and unsigned talent if we feel their music deserves recognition. We accomplish our success by building an overwhelming Internet presence and getting our clients latest music played nationwide on the radio. We use our extensive knowledge and strong relationships within the music industry to help our clients achieve their goal objectives."

I work on a variety of projects most days so I never get too bored. Today for example, I spent about four hours emailing roughly 30 different college radio stations trying to find out if a particular band that we are promoting was currently being played on the radio at all. Then, with the rest of my time at the office, I searched for any and all UK music blogs that might be interested in promoting a British musician that we recently began working with.

While this internship is far from my dream job, it still is a step in the right direction and of course any experience in the music industry is good experience. I'm certainly not a fan of working for free but it's one more thing to add to my resume so that's a very good thing.

Now, you may be asking what exactly is my dream job. Well, I'll tell you! My absolute dream job would be to own my very own record label. I would help write and produce the music, manage bands, talent scout musicians and maybe even sing a little too on a couple tracks. I'd really love to work in the A & R Department at any record label. I think it would be incredible to be that person that discovered an artist and felt so passionate about their music that you help them get their music out to the world. I want to be that person.

So, here's hoping that my next fabulous music job is just around the corner.

1 comment: