Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Music Alert #3

Last week I was bombarded with a ton of new awesome music! Seriously, I was in musical heaven! I usually learn about new music through several music magazines, SPIN, ROLLING STONE, etc, but last week I began checking out a few LA music blogs and boy was I impressed?! I have now bookmarked them all on my computer and will continue to check them for new artists. Below are two groups in particular that really impressed me. I highly recommend you check them out.


So I never thought that I was a fan of folk music but this band makes it hip and gentle sounding at the same time. Does that even make sense? Two Swedish sisters, Johanna and Klara Söderberg (ages 18 and 15) make up this band and according to their Myspace page, they describe that the "emphasis is on narrative lyrics accompanying playful melodies with intense, dense harmonies." I couldn't have said it better myself so I didn't...haha My favorite song by them right now is "I Met Up with the King". The music and words are just beautiful.
"They have been slowly making a name for themselves in music circles with their traditional folk songs and beautiful voices. It's sort of combination of Joan Beaz meets Bon Iver, if that makes sense." - MusicSnobbery.com


This group is relatively new but the lead singer, Elizabeth Harper has been around doing her thing as a singer-songwriter for a few years. The New York Press calls her "Brooklyn's very own Madonna." I love this explanation from New York Magazine of their music, "unabashedly slick electro-pop beats juxtaposed with coy, romantically depressed vocals courtesy of star-in-the-making Elizabeth Harper.” BUST's magazine's quote is great too, “any band that cites Madonna’s first album as a major influence is gonna get a listen from me…their super 80s vibe made the scene feel like the climax of a John Hughes movie, aka awesome. At the end of their short set, I had hearts in my eyes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment